Stripe Making Machines
Improve fine motor skills and grasp.
• Physical Development (Fine Motor): Manipulate writing, drawing and art tools.
• Logic & Reasoning: Recognize cause and effect relationships.
• Literacy Knowledge & Skills: Experiment with writing tools and materials.
Bundle two or more crayons together and secure with a rubber band. Tape the bundled crayons to the back of a toy car so that the crayons leave a mark when the car is pushed.
Introduce children to your "Stripe Machines". Demonstrate how to "drive" the toy car across paper to create stripes of color.
Supply children with "stripe machines" and paper and be prepared for noise effects.
• Be sure to look for "plaids" in children's drawings as the stripes overlap.
• Encourage children to create their own bundled crayon combinations – with or without toy cars and vehicles – to "drive" them.